Any time of year I look forward to using New Mexican chile in dishes like stews, cauldillo and chili. Hatch green chile goes great with chicken.
Adding white beans like Great Northern adds extra protein. Here’s what you’ll need:
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 white onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno
* 1 (4 ounce) can chopped Hatch green chile
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon ground New Mexican chile powder
* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
* 1 pound skinless boneless chicken tenders
* 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans
* 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1. Cut chicken tenders into bite sized pieces. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Saute chicken until no longer pink, pour off juices. Add onion and slowly cook and stir until tender. Mix in the garlic, jalapeno, Hatch green chile, cumin, oregano and New Mexican chili powder. Continue to cook and stir the mixture until tender, about 3 minutes. Mix in the chicken broth and white beans. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove the mixture from heat. Slowly stir in the cheese until melted.
If you want to really kick up the heat, add a Bhut Jolokia pepper. (CAUTION-Bhut Jolokia is one of the world’s hottest peppers)
Serve warm with tortillas, chips and salsa on the side.